Thursday, October 12, 2006

Advice for Young Dads

Big Daddy Drew at the well-named group blog Kissing Suzy Kolber has advice for fathers of infants who are dragged to birthday parties and forced to make conversation with other dads at these parties. I have too many friends in this position not to provide a link... besides, the issue, as Drew points out, is figuring out whether the Dad in question is a sports guy or not. If he is, life is good. If not... ugh. Without sports, the conversation could get stilted...
There were a handful of other fathers at the scene. I am nothing if not outgoing, so I headed over to the group of guys standing around the requisite ice bucket filled with Coors Light and Yuengling (the only thing that justifies Pennsylvania's existence). I immediately went into an in-depth discussion of parenting methods with one of them:

"So, you got two kids?"
"Uh huh."
"What's two like? I only have one."
"Oh, it's great."
"Great..."

NOTE: Long pause. The guy's kid walks by.

"So, your kid's walking?"
"Oh, yeah."
"How's that?"
"Oh, it's great..."
"Great..."

This was like a tennis match between two mannequins. It's a moment where the NFL's existence becomes so paramount. The NFL is the common bond that links us all together. Can religion do that? I think not!
The scary part is, I have friends whom I can picture having this conversation.

By the way, I must defend Pennsylvania's existence. We also have cheesesteaks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home