Wednesday, July 13, 2005

They're Evil. Get It?

James Taranto takes note of the statement from the murderer of Theo van Gogh, the Dutch filmmaker who was killed for making a movie that exposed the angry face of Islamic militants. The statement is a chilling reminder that our enemies aren't all that human...

Mohammed Bouyeri, a baby-faced 27-year-old with dual Dutch-Moroccan nationality, broke his vow not to co-operate with the Amsterdam court by admitting shooting and stabbing his victim last November.

"I take complete responsibility for my actions. I acted purely in the name of my religion," he told its three-strong panel of judges.

"I can assure you that one day, should I be set free, I would do the same, exactly the same." Earlier, Bouyeri had insisted that he did not recognise the authority of any non-Islamic court and forbade his lawyer to mount a defence.

Spectators in the maximum security courthouse in western Amsterdam gasped as Bouyeri then turned to the victim's mother, Anneke, in the public gallery, and told her he felt nothing for her. Mrs van Gogh watched as he read out from what appeared to be a statement: "I don't feel your pain. I have to admit that I don't have any sympathy for you. I can't feel for you because you're a non-believer."

He added: "Maybe you could find some consolation if the maximum sentence is given."
The maximum penalty won't fully console me. But seeing other men and women, particularly Muslims, condemn people like Bouyeri and his murderous ilk, would begin to provide the relief we all need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home