Friday, August 26, 2005

E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles!

The Eagles preseason home opener is tonight. And let's just say it's been a long time to wait...

You never know what sort of football you'll get in a preseason game. One thing seems certain, though. Tonight at the Linc, we should be in for some pretty good theater.

The last time we met like this, there was ice in the air and confetti on the ground. Grown men cried. Children were raised up on shoulders to get a better view of city history unfolding before them.

The Eagles had just beaten the Atlanta Falcons to earn a berth in the Super Bowl, and Lincoln Financial Field was V-E Day, New Year's Eve in Times Square and Mardi Gras. Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid and Terrell Owens stood on a podium in the center of the field and handed the Halas Trophy around.

That was seven months ago.

Tonight, the Eagles are scheduled to play the Cincinnati Bengals in an exhibition. The game on the field will have to compete very hard to be as compelling and dramatic as the scene in the stands.

Oh, and good news for the Phillies: This will give everyone a chance to spell out "E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles!" at an actual Eagles game again.
Strangely, I actually want to thank the Phillies. Usually, at this point in August I'm too wired for football. I gave up on the Phils as an intense rooting interest about a decade ago, thanks to the owners, who made it obvious they didn't care about th fans. I still root for the Phils -- I live an die with the Eagles, Flyers and Sixers.

But this year, the Phils have actually succeeded in being interesting and have me willing to believe they could make the playoffs. This, along with the Flyers terrific offseason, was enough to distract me from the shenanigans of T.O. and the usual training camp injuries.

But now, I'm ready for football. And I believe, strangely enough, that this team is headed back to the Super Bowl. I can't wait to spend a February weekend in Detroit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home