Monday, February 13, 2006

The Coulter Comment

With regard to Ann Coulter's comments at CPAC... I'm going to follow Vodkapundit's lead and quote Jonah Goldberg...

But, even though I think Media Matters is something of a joke, that doesn't mean the point isn't valid. I don't think Ann does anybody but herself any good when she jokes about killing presidents, Supreme Court justices or uses terms like raghead. I don't think she should do it and I don't think conservatives should applaud it. I'm all for shattering the stereotype that conservatives can't tell a joke, but that doesn't mean any joke is worth making just because it gets a laugh (indeed, some jokes shouldn't be made for fear that they will generate a laugh).
There are plenty of occassions on which Ann is truly funny, and within this set there are numerous occassions when her biting humor contains an essential truth that needs to be discussed. Here, any truth she seeks to bring forth is obscured by the stupidity of the terms she chose to use. With that being said, Jonah's right on more point -- she's not going to be cowed by anyone, including her fellow conservatives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home