Tuesday, September 09, 2008

You Might Be An Elitist If You Don't Like Kids

Tom Smith posits an interesting perspective about Piper Palin's effort to fix her little brother's hair during the RNC and the reaction of the NYT's reporters to it...
Check out the "noses wrinkled in disgust" in this Instapundit link. You can see the little Palin giving her baby brother a kitty lick to fix his hair. Is that cute enuff for ya? But apparently, NY Times reporters reacted with a collective ick, according to
another Times reporter, no less. Yes, they are from a different planet
.

I'm not sure how this came about or what to do about it, but I believe it may be true. Some people like kids. I do, for example, especially my own. They are cute, for several years of their life span they think you are some sort of hero, and after the phase passes they can at least be disciplined into remaining silent about the fact. When small you can snuggle with them, and they make the perfect companions for watching TV with. It is true they can be noisy and smelly, and they are quite astonishingly expensive. Still, all and all, most kid lovers, such as myself, would be quite happy to see the NY Times, the Met, all decent NYC restaurants and the entire fashion industry fall into a wormhole rather than give up one of the good hours with one of our kids. We are cool with kids, and we don't care that much about all the big city stuff.

On the other side are people who don't like kids. Don't ask me why.

... I don't know. This is a gap so wide I can't even see across it. I can't even imagine what it would be like to think a little girl taking care of her baby brother is not cute. I honestly don't know who these people are.
I don't think this applies to most liberals (many of whom have children) and most of them would give up all the same stuff for time with their kids. And I'm certain that Obama, who's likely the preferred candidate of the people Smith is describing, is someone who loves kids, based on the interaction he has with his daughters.

But I know about the people Smith is referring to. I can see people who don't think Piper Palin's gesture was sanitary, or might mock it while being snarky, but I have difficulty thinking that any well-adjusted person wouldn't find it cute. I'm sad for them. There is no better feeling on this Earth than going home and hearing my little girl say, "Dada" (granted, it's one of only five or ten words in her vocabulary, and she uses it to refer to everything) and do her little waddle-sprint across the room to get picked up for a hug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home