Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Five More Thoughts Regarding the Olympics

As previously noted, the Olympics bore me. But out of respect for the over-commercialized monstrosity that continues to dominate the television ratings, here are my latest five points about the Olympics...

1. If I was Paul Hamm, I wouldn't give back my medal. Not until Korea gives back Roy Jones, Jr.'s gold medal from 1988, or the Olympic Committee reverses the 1972 basketball final screwjob and gives our basketball team their medals. It's about time some other country gets hosed.

2. Seriously, jokes aside, it's got to suck to be Hamm. You work your butt off, probably get teased as a kid because you're a gymnast, achieve the pinnacle of your sport, and then get told it's all wrong. Yet another argument for why gymnastics is an athletic exhibition, but not a sport. Same is true for figure skating. And cheerleading. Anything where judges completely determine the outcome through subjective scoring resembles American Idol more than sports, at least from my point of view.

3. Two of the women's Olympic beach volleyball players from the U.S. are named Misty May and Holly McPeak. I'm reasonably certain that these are their real names. I have no additional comment.

4. Kerri Strug is serving a columnist for Yahoo! during the Olympics. And she's a blonde. Better yet, she can actually write.

5. The U.S. women's softball team did what our basketball Dream Team should be capable of doing. How does a team give up only one run throughout the Olympics? Best of all, it gives me a chance to link to photos of Jennie Finch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home