Thursday, November 04, 2004

The John Kerry Post of the Day

My latest discovery about my favorite cheese-eating surrendermonkey-looking Ketchup King cum Presidential candidate:

This is the final one, unless Senator Ketchup says something humorous at some point in the future (which he probably will). We'll kind of miss the walking malaprop known as Teresa. But at least we don't have to be frightened at the prospect of Kerry becoming President anymore. We're reasonably certain he won't be running in 2008, since he doesn't resemble William Jennings Bryan or even Adlai Stevenson. But give him plenty of credit today -- he gave a sincere and moving concession speech. I particularly liked this part...

You may not understand completely in what ways, but it is true when I say to you that you have taught me and you've tested me and you've lifted me up, and you made me stronger, I did my best to express my vision and my hopes for America. We worked hard, and we fought hard, and I wish that things had turned out a little differently.

But in an American election, there are no losers, because whether or not our candidates are successful, the next morning we all wake up as Americans. And that -- that is the greatest privilege and the most remarkable good fortune that can come to us on earth.

With that gift also comes obligation. We are required now to work together for the good of our country. In the days ahead, we must find common cause. We must join in common effort without remorse or recrimination, without anger or rancor. America is in need of unity and longing for a larger measure of compassion.

I hope President Bush will advance those values in the coming years. I pledge to do my part to try to bridge the partisan divide. I know this is a difficult time for my supporters, but I ask them, all of you, to join me in doing that.

Now, more than ever, with our soldiers in harm's way, we must stand together and succeed in Iraq and win the war on terror. I will also do everything in my power to ensure that my party, a proud Democratic Party, stands true to our best hopes and ideals.
The nation needs the Democratic Party of the past to re-emerge -- the same Democrats who once attracted a young Ronald Reagan, the same Democrats who, while advocating big government, understood and respected the values of the workingman they championed, the same Democrats who once counted in their ranks Scoop Jackson and John Kennedy and Zell Miller. We need that Democratic Party, not the modern-day left-wing psychos who barely disguise their contempt for American power and American ideals. There's folks within that party who can bring it around -- like Lieberman, Ford, perhaps young Mr. Obama -- and we wish them luck.

Senator Kerry couldn't do that in 2004, but perhaps he will help in the future. i tend to doubt it, based on his past record. but at least he had the good grace to concede,despite exhortations from folks like his running mate, who wanted to litigate again and gave a much less conciliatory speech.

But we'll let that go fow now. We have some celebrating to continue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home