Tuesday, January 11, 2005

What Annoying Song is Stuck in My Head Today?

If I need to suffer with a song stuck in my head, why shouldn't you have to do the same? Sometimes they're good, most times they're bad... but no matter what, they make you suffer. So I like to share the suffering whenever it happens.

Okay, I was in Belize last week, taking that long-awaited vacation (more on that when I actually have time to write it up). Somehow, Alli and I found ourselves on Caye Caulker for lunch after doing some snorkeling and sailing on a catamaran (and contrary to my general custom, I never once puked while riding on the catamaran). And as we had lunch with a nice couple from Chicago who'd been snorkeling with us, I noticed that our lunch spot was playing American music. Bad American music.

As a side point, last week my good friend Johnny Goblin expressed some contempt for Ashlee Simpson's idiotic wailing, and bemoaned the fact that music like this is being foisted upon the public by MBAs at big corporations and is the result of media consolidation. This triggered a nice response from the Lord of Truth, who noted the amazing level of crappy music that existed in the past, and also noted that there's a market for crap out there, and there always has been. I agree with both of them on most of these points.

Do I have a point? Yes. While they were having this debate via e-mail, I was sitting in that restaurant, being subjected to some of the most mindless crap ever produced... New Kids on the Block. We had to leave before the song finished, which meant it was stuck in my head for the whole damn boat ride back to Ambergris. So now it's your turn.

Here you go...Hanging Tough...

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Listen up everybody if you wanna take a chance.
(rap:) just get on the floor and do the new kids’ dance.
Don’t worry ’bout nothing ’cause it won’t take long.
(rap:) we’re gonna put you in a trance with a funky song, ’cause you gotta be
Hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough.
(rap:) we’re rough.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Everybody’s always talkin’ ’bout who’s on top.
(rap:) don’t cross our path ’cause you’re gonna get stomped.
We ain’t gonna give anybody any slack.
(rap:) and if you try to keep us down we’re gonna come right back,
And you know we’re
Hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough.
(rap:) are you tough enough?
Hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough.
(rap:) we’re rough.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Get loose everybody ’cause we’re gonna do our thing.
(rap:) ’cause you know it ain’t over ’till the fat lady sings.
Hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough.
(rap:) are you tough enough?
Hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough, hangin’ tough.
(rap:) we’re rough.
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, just hangin’ tough, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, hangin’ tough.
You're welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home