Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Chief Hangs On

How often do people call press conferences to announce that they're not retiring? I guess Chief Justice Rehnquist grew tired of the ghoulish death watch being conducted by the press...

Chief Justice William Rehnquist, moving to quash speculation that he will retire because of illness, said he will continue leading the Supreme Court as long as his health allows. He returned to work Friday.

"I want to put to rest the speculation and unfounded rumors of my imminent retirement," he said in a statement. "I am not about to announce my retirement. I will continue to perform my duties as chief justice as long as my health permits."

...In recent days, as speculation intensified over Mr. Rehnquist's future, calls mounted to elevate Justice O'Connor to the chief justice's position.

The chief justice's statement is likely to speed President Bush's schedule in announcing a successor to Justice O'Connor.
I don't blame him at all. This would be annoying as hell to anyone who was in good health, let alone someone who's actually dealing with health worries. I'm fully in favor limiting the terms of Court justices, but Rehnquist has the right to sit on the high court as long as he pleases.

As for the decision, it makes Alberto Gonzales an unlikely nominee. Bush will now go for a conservative woman or Hispanic justice, and appoint someone like Luttig when the next opening occurs on the bench. And keep in mind -- Rehnquist's announcement doesn't say he's staying for a long time -- just as long as his health permits. That leaves him room to maneuver and promptly announce his departure as soon as O'Connor's replacement is confirmed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home