Thursday, October 14, 2010

Great Random Analogies

People who know me know that one of my guiding theories in life is that most of the crap we do doesn't matter, so I don't stress about it.  Of course, others have come up with better ways of saying it, and my guiding philosopher on such matters is the late, great Tug McGraw, who summed up the principle I mentioend with what he called the Frozen Iceball theory:  “I remind myself that in approximately a billion years, the sun is going to burn out and the earth will become a frozen iceball hurtling through space. And when that happens, nobody’s going to care what Willie Stargell did with the bases loaded.”

I ran into another great tug McGraw quote this morning, which gives me analogy that I want to use sometime as a writer.  Describing Game 4 of the Phillies-Astros 1980 ALCS (a forgotten great series), he said the following...
"There has never been a game I've ever witnessed," Tug McGraw, the late Phils reliever, said afterward, "that has been more exciting, more controversial, more interesting. . . . It was like a motorcycle ride through an art museum. You see the pictures but afterward you don't remember what you saw."
That's one of my favorite random analogies ever.  I'm not sure how, but I'm going to work that into my writing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home