Friday, June 03, 2005

Yes, There's No Such Thing As Media Bias

No, it's not my usual rant -- I actually have very little quible with the story in the end. You gotta love the headline from the Washington Post, or perhaps AP: Payrolls Grow By Just 78,000 in May. I understand the point, but there's an issue here as to whether the emphasis should be on the smaller-than-expected growth, or whether it's a selective choice by the editor (who also waits several paragraphs to note that 3.5 million new jobs have been added in the past two years). Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to it, but if such a report got issued under Clinton in simlar circumstances, I'm guessing the headline would read, "Payrolls Expand by 78,000 As Unemployment Rate Drops."

Again, the issue isn't that media bias shouldn't exist. It's that it does, and it's clear in the way someone portrays the facts. I just wish folks in the media would admit it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home