Saturday, September 10, 2005

Another Media Double Standard

The mainstream press apparently wants to show the bodies of the dead in New Orleans. I'm with Andrew Sullivan on this; I think the pictures need to be shown, with an appropriate level of discretion to protect the families and loved ones of the dead, such that identifying characteristics are left out of the picture. But that last point is up to the discretion of the press, and there shouldn't be legal barriers to the reporting. I personally find the exercise ghoulish and distasteful, but much of what a free press produces is distasteful. But it's still free to do so, and in this case distasteful pictures may also be useful in helping us understand the extent of the tragedy.

But Instapundit raises a great point...
THE PRESS WANTS TO SHOW BODIES from Katrina. It didn't want to show bodies, or jumpers, on 9/11, for fear that doing so would inflame the public.

I can only conclude that this time around, the press thinks it's a good thing to inflame the public. What could the difference be?
Ed Driscoll scores an even better point, as Glenn notes. And Scott Ott at Scrappleface really hammers home the point.

I've been considering what I want to write about Katrina, but saving my thoughts. I'll get to those in a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home