Thursday, November 12, 2009

Why Are You Calling Me From Oregon?

Like most people, I despise telemarketers. For days now, I've been getting calls on my cellphone from the 541 area code. No messages, and the same call occurring every morning at the same time had me thinking it had to be a telemarketer. For what, I had no idea. Finally, I picked up this morning, to learn that the telemarketer was calling on behalf of the Pennsylvania Bar Association -- I dropped my membership last year. I'm still a licensed attorney in PA, but the Bar Association dues are no longer subsidized by my employer, and it's not mandatory to join the professional association if you're licensed. The best things you got were discounts on bar courses, a snazzy monthly magazine, and an opportunity to join plaintiffs attorneys in lobbying to prevent tort reform. I didn't need those before, and I certainly don't need to pay for them now.

But this leaves the question -- why does the PA Bar have someone in Oregon calling me to try and get me to join up? Can't they find someone in PA to do the same work? Or at least someone regionally close?

Of course, I didn't discuss this with the telemarketer. I usually tell them that I'm busy on the other line, but sometimes I like to throw in a little creativity. Today, I told her that I was busy celebrating the Feast of Maximum Occupancy, and to call back Monday (when I'll be on a plane).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home