Saturday, September 18, 2004

What Annoying Song is Stuck in My Head Today?

If I need to suffer with a song stuck in my head, why shouldn't you have to do the same? Sometimes they're good, most times they're bad... but no matter what, they make you suffer. So I like to share the suffering whenever it happens.

Sometimes family members do inexplicable things, even though you think they're great people. This is one of those occasions.

The other night, in a moment soon to be captured in a wedding update, I was subjected to a half-hour promotional video from a company whom we are considering as a videographer for the wedding. In order to provide me with another sample of what wedding videos look like (since, to be honest, I've never once sat down and watched one), my future bride then played the video of her sister's wedding.

Now, I think the world of my future sister-in-law and brother-in-law. Not only are they intelligent people with brilliant futures (seriously, a lawyer from U of Chicago married to a radiation oncologist), they're very cool. My friends know that I enjoy intellectual stimulation and conversation on a wide variety of topics, and these two are just as comfortable discussing foreign politics as 80's sitcoms. Granted, we come from different ends of the political spectrum, but no one's perfect. Besides, every so often, they might even be right while I'm... well, not as right.

Anyway... the video's about five minutes in, and they're doing a scrapbook montage of different moments from their lives. One second, they're playing Kool and the Gang's "Celebration" and showing pictures of childhood. Pretty good. Then suddenly... the dreaded song begins.

Freaking Styx. Dennis deYoung, begins warbling in that high-pitched screech he calls a voice, and I feel like slitting my wrists, because I know the damn song will be in head for a week.

Put it this way -- I hate Styx, although not quite like others hate groups like Hansen. I can actually tolerate most of Styx's music. The only time I've ever tolerated this particular song was when South Park ripped it mercilessly, with Cartman hating the song more than I do.

What's funny is, I once discussed my hatred of this song with my soon-to-be in-laws at their home in Chicago. They took it in stride -- by promptly playing the damn song. Told you they were cool.

Here we go... "Come Sail Away"...

I’m sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea
I’ve got to be free,
free to face the life that’s ahead of me
On board, I’m the captain, so climb aboard
We’ll search for tomorrow on every shore
And I’ll try, oh lord, I’ll try to carry on

I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory
Some happy, some sad
I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had
We live happily forever, so the story goes
But somehow we missed out on that pot of gold
But we’ll try best that we can to carry on

A gathering of angels appeared above my head
They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said

They said come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me

I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise
They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies
Singing

Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me

You're welcome.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Those songs sound like someone just made them up as they went along on the spot; I think that's what makes them so annoying, i.e. they've got this "stream of consciousness" thing going on, which is what makes sucky songs "catchy" as well.

That's why they always end up as jingles or background-music for some really dumb commercial (however I think that should be illegal for good songs, since they're selling something twice; for example, the song "Happy Jack" used to take me back to a vacation where I was lying in the sun one summer day by Lake Michigan with my friend from high school; but now it just makes me think of this really anoying "Humvee" commercial).

7:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

P.S. oh yeah, my friend was playing "Happy Jack" on his stereo, and I had never heard it.
Then I saw it on the Humvee commercial with the stupid shaking camera, and I think The Who should be sued by everyone who paid money for that album.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home